Saturday, April 20, 2013

SCBWI Western Washington Conference

Tomorrow will be my fourth conference and I'm so excited! I get to hang with my artsy friends, attend fantastic workshops and look at some awesome work. After such painful stuff in the news, I'm hoping all that vibrant, positive, artistic energy will help balance out the universe a bit. I know many people need it right now.

My portfolio needed a few black and whites, so I illustrated one of my favorite children's stories growing up, Momotaro, which means Peach Boy. My grandparents gave me the book Japanese Children's Favorite Stories, illustrated by one of my all time fave illustrator, Yoshisuke Kurosaki. I LOVED this book growing up. And what made my book even more special was that it was blessed by my grandparents buddhist priest. I would spend hours reading it and sometimes just staring at it.

I've always been intimidated by the beauty of the book and incredible talent of Kurosaki that I never even considered doing my own version of it, but it just kind of happened. I'm hoping I did it justice!




14 comments:

Crystal Cook said...

Oh Michaele, your version is INCREDIBLE!! I don't know this story, but what you've done creates so much emotion. The big tree contrasted with the little girl and that tiny bird. It is beautiful my friend. Best of luck at your conference I hope you have a fantastic time. :D

Melissa@Julias Bookbag said...

Hello darling M!!! Do you know that I have these books?? I LOVE THEM SO MUCH!!! The art is so amazing. I think your B&W rendition is STUNNING. Have fun at your conference! And have I complimented you on your fab new blog design? I love it! xoxo

Sarah Romano Diehl said...

Lovely Michaele. The best part I think is the tree trunk- what a nice line! The child is great, and the sweet flowers.

Ariel said...

This is absolutely delightful! Beautiful work and so fun getting to hang with you at the conference :)

Michaele Razi said...

Thank you, lovely people! I'm giving you all a hug right now WITH MY MIND!

Carin Bramsen said...

This is super lovely! I love the combination of crisp and soft edges. The child and the bird are wonderful.

illustration poetry said...

hello Lovely Michaele, i remember this story from my childhood memory and i loved it but ive never seen this one illustrated by Kurosaki, i'm pretty sure your version is beautiful too because it is!!!!

Lots of love,
Mita

Bella Sinclair said...

Ohhh, I LOVE your illustration! You certainly did it justice and then some. I know this story and adore it. When I was learning Japanese (long forgotten now), my instructor made me read it. It was painful and slow, but I loved every single word of it.

I hope you had a blast at the conference and got a good dose of inspiration and goodness to boot. I also want to thank you for that sweet, sweet comment you left for me a couple of weeks ago. Honestly, you made me cry in gratitude. I am thankful for you and your art, both of which remind me of the good and love in this world. xoxo

Michaele Razi said...

Thank you so much for your comments, everyone! Each of you have inspired me so much with your incredible art and supportive words. I'm so grateful!

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

OOOOOh my goodness how beautiful!!! Oh my word. Darling this is the best! I hope that you had a wonderful time at the conference. I haven't been to one in a minute. Wishing you all the very best and I thank you so much for stopping by to visit me. It means so much! Hugs to you!

Shirley said...

Goodness, what a gorgeous black and white illustratin, Michaele! You absolutely did it justice! I hope you had a wonderful time at the conference..how awesome to attend and enjoy the latest and greatest in the industry and to see friends and make new ones. YAY! Wishing you a wonderful May ahead..thank you so much for your sweet visit!

Amy C said...

totally adorable

Rabbit Town Animator said...

Loving your version!!! It is very cute and I loved that story as well!

JaneA said...

I really love the power and emotion you've achieved with the black and white illustration. The white blossoms really stand out against the grey background. lovely work!