Monday, January 31, 2011

Darrell Toland...Illustrator of Awesomeness

I wanted to brag a bit about my friend and illustrator, Darrell Toland. First of all, he's illustrated a wonderful book called, Edsel McFarlan's New Car, written by Max Holechek, about a tenacious young boy who orders a model car kit that arrives in the actual size of a real car. I think it's safe to say that some serious craziness ensues with our little Edsel. There's so much humor in all the little details Darrell manages to pack into just one illustration, that it seems like there's always something new to discover that enhances the story in a fantastic way. Secondly, he publishes a weekly online comic strip called Stix and Bones (found here at stixandbones.com) about, Bones, the daughter of a genetic engineer/inventor who's a bit...different along with her kung-fu, stick-wielding dog, Stix. Let's just say Bones has a knack for getting herself and friends into a lot of trouble adventures. Darrell's style of illustration and storytelling are perfectly fused into an endearing package of quirkiness, hilarity and edginess that really has a life of it's own. I was pretty much hooked when Bones snuck into her father's laboratory using a duplicate of her father's hand (that she genetically made/grew/concocted) to get past his elaborate security system. How can you go wrong with that? Anyway, I just wanted to give him a little shout-out and if y'all find the time, please check out his website. Gracias!


13 comments:

Olov said...

M,
You are the best! Thanks so much for the plug o ramma! Looking at your PS attempt, I'm expecting great things from you very soon!

Michaele Razi said...

Thanks, Olov! Gotta plug what's awesome!

Bella Sinclair said...

Oh wow, that's great work! Fantastic animation with the characters. Such great energy! Thanks for the intro. The book looks wonderful, too!

Michaele Razi said...

@Bella-I know! I love Darrell's energy and style. And you're quite welcome!

Olov said...

M,
I hope you remember me when you're a big shot doing the convention circuit.

Dennis Salvatier said...

Definitely has great stuff. Great imagination. Thanks for introducing e to his stuff.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

This looks so wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing it. I have to look for it.
Hugs
V

Michaele Razi said...

@D and V - You are most welcome! xo

Jennifer Noel Bower said...

UBER_COOL Michaele!!!! I can see why you rave. I love his comicbook style, and you know me, I love anyone with quirky sense of details. I can't wait to check him out.

Thanks too for stopping by giving props to my red booted friend.

Can't wait to see what pops up next on your blog. How goes the PS learning?

Michaele Razi said...

Oh yay, Jennifer! So glad you'll check out Darrell's comic! And you're welcome. The PS is slow going but it's going...kind of. We'll see! ;)

Shirley said...

It is my pleasure to pass on such cool art/blog buddy info...thanks for visiting and leaving such kind comments, Michaele! I really appreciate it..have an awesome week ahead!

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

I had to come back and tell you thank you so very much for your encouraging and kind words left on my blog. They are medicine for a weary soul. I have been working and working for the past couple of weeks without a break. You make me want to finish everything it was so uplifting!!! Thank so much for taking time out of your busy life and day to drop by and leave something beautiful on my blog.
Thanks from the bottom of my heart.
I do so appreciate it.
V

Michaele Razi said...

You are most welcome, Vanessa. Your blog is a breath of fresh air, and I'm so glad I can help and support a fellow artist in any way I can. I look forward to more of your fabulous art. And thank you too! xo M